This museum in Bangkok is disturbing af!

6:37 am

Also known as the museum of death, the siriraj medical museum is a must-visit for the brave-hearted. When I added it into our itinerary, I braced myself for preserved fetuses. But damn, my eyes and soul got way more then what I asked for. I legitly got creeped out by certain exhibits. 



I wish that I could show you guys some photos that I took but no cameras were allowed inside. The usual rule-breaker in me would have sneaked a picture but due to the fact that these exhibits are real bodies, I felt a need to respect them. So, the following images have been taken off the web. 


We started out with a row of fetuses, shown at different stages in the womb followed by those who suffered from a birth deformity. Initially, we thought the fetuses were recreated but it looked super realistic. The level of detail made us realized that it was indeed real. 



After we were done with the anatomical department, we entered the forensic department. This was the part where it started getting gory. We were greeted by glass cabinets full of human bones. In each section were the similar types of bones and I wondered why they needed so many of the same kind. Something about the way they were placed made me feel quite uncomfortable. Maybe it's just me. 

Anws, just above the cabinets was a long wall filled with pictures. Pictures of actual wound or impact to the body. Im not talking about stab wounds or clean gunshots but more gruesome and savage with all the details.

 🚧  Viewer discretion advised! 🚧 


Blast force injury from a hand grenade
source: corkscrew-balloon.com

Gun shot wound to the wrist
source: corkscrew-balloon.com

Multiple cuts by propeller 
source: corkscrew-balloon.com


If these are too much for you, I don't think you can survive the museum. There's a lot more of such graphics which are waaaaay more brutal that I am unable to bring myself to put it up here. It includes someone who was ran over by a train & a beheaded bloody person. If anyone's interested in the gallery, visit this page. (It links to page 2 of the museum tour cause page 1 is too much to handle.)


As if the above photos weren't enough, we stepped into this room that had 3 full sized cadavers staring at us. They have been preserved in wax and were actual criminals. If you take a closer look, you can still see their facial features despite them looking like raisins now. 


I had to hold on to kong and keep him close to me cause I was honestly scared. I mean like, it looked to me as though the body would fall out anytime! 😩  The cadaver's not really secured & leaning against the glass, standing on it's own! Wait, is that tape I see, securing the door?? 😱  Oh god, I hope they're just an added precaution. 


This is Si Quey/Zee Oui, who was a chinese immigrant that came to Thailand in 1944 & became the country's most notorious serial killer.  He was a cannibal who murdered then ate the hearts and liver of children, believing that it gave him immortality. In the 1950s, he was caught and sentenced to death by hanging. In a way, he has became somewhat immortalised. Besides being preserved, he lives on in tales told by many generations. Thai parents even told their children that if they were to misbehave, the ghost of Si Quey would come find them.


Here's a close up. Super disturbing, I'm sry. 


A fourth cabinet stood beside them and it contained personal belongings of a rape victim. It included her actual torn underwear, clothes, jewellery and her diary. Even though there was no body, a part of me still felt unsettled. I don't really know how to describe the exact feeling but there was just something about seeing her tattered clothes that got to me. 

In the same room, we saw more preserved babies. There were also candy and toys left for them as an offering to their spirits.



Congratulations if you made it this far. The worst is over. 

A large part of the next room was dedicated to the 2004 Tsunami in Thailand. Photos shown here were very much toned down. More written information were provided at this section. There were also some re-enactment of scenes from the event. 



The remaining department we went were about parasites, snakes, mozzies etc.  One hard to miss exhibit would be the 75kg scrotum from an actual man. He suffered from Elephantiasis which was passed on to him by some microscopic worms. No disrespect but this is literally what you call big balls. Be careful what you wish for, men. 
We stayed all the way till closing time, which was about 5pm, because we arrived late. I noticed a staff walking around with a file in her hand, with pages of pictures of the exhibits. I then realized that she was checking if the specimens were intact. First thing that came to my mind was "who would touch any of these, let alone steal it??" Turns out, there was indeed a theft case, like omg whaaaat?? 

Back in 2014, two American guys were detained after five boxes containing a baby’s head, right foot, sheets of human skin and a human heart were discovered at a DHL facility in Pathum Thani, according to reports. It was later confirmed that they stole it from this medical museum. Holy crap 😱  More info here


Overall, I would definitely recommend you guys to visit this medical museum if you're in bangkok. Not known to many tourists, it's an interesting yet disturbing place like no other. Go experience it yourself first hand, it's definitely an unforgettable one. Perhaps even for days after your visit. I still get the chills looking at some of the pictures. 😰

Lastly, here's a video showing other stuff you can expect to see there too.

                     


Address: 2 Wanglung Road Khwaeng Siriraj, Khet Bangkok Noi, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10700, Thailand
Hours: 10am - 5pm (best before 230pm so you have enough time for everything)
Admission fee: 200 baht 

Getting there: You can take a ferry but we took an Uber & keyed in "siriraj medical museum" as the destination. Driver dropped us somewhere nearby instead (shown in map) so we had to walk a bit. Just ask around and look out for signs. The museum is on the second level of the building. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments